The laboratory department at HGH is comprised of a strong team of Medical Laboratory Technologists (MLTs) and Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLA/T) who are highly skilled licensed health care professionals dedicated to your care. We support our patients, other healthcare professionals and clients with efficient collection, transportation and accurate testing of specimens in our laboratories to facilitate the highest quality of health care to our patients. Laboratory medicine plays an integral role in the delivery of quality patient care as physicians rely on medical laboratory professionals to provide vital, accurate and prompt testing data to optimize patient diagnosis and treatment. Up to 85 per cent of decisions undertaken by physicians regarding diagnosis and treatment are based on lab test results.
Our laboratory and phlebotomy team members are dedicated to providing the most advanced and highest quality laboratory services as well as supporting new and innovative approaches in laboratory medicine. We have a strong resource of medical consultants, as well as invested accredited partners such as EORLA hospital’s (Eastern Ontario Regional Laboratories Association) whose expertise is applied to current testing platforms as well as development and implementation of new technologies and testing methodologies.
Our mandate is to provide the highest standard of laboratory service to our patients. Working closely with our doctors and nurses by providing prompt, accurate laboratory testing results our patients can be assured of the highest quality health care. We proudly offer the following services to our hospital patients and patients from surrounding communities:
- Phlebotomy and specimen collection : Procurement of blood samples and other fluids from patients for laboratory testing
- Point –of- care testing (P.O.C.T.): various test performed at the patient's bedside for faster testing and monitoring
- Clinical Chemistry: the measurement of chemical components of blood and body fluids including hormones and drugs.
- Hematology: the study of diseases in blood cells and the clotting mechanisms of the blood.
- Transfusion Medicine: the determination of blood types and cross-matching for transfusion.
- Coagulation : the study of clotting factors and mechanisms
- Immunology: the study of the body’s defense mechanisms against disease.
- Clinical Microbiology: the study of bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites which invade the body.
- Diagnostic Cytology: the study of cells for the detection of cancer.
- Histology/Pathology: the preparation and study of body tissue for the detection of disease.
24 hour operation 7 days a week